Natarajasana – an incredible balancing posture that offers benefits for the whole body
Natarajasana (lord Shiva’s pose)
Nata= dance Raj= king Asana= posture
Want to connect with cosmic energy? Nataraj is another name for Shiva. His dance symbolizes cosmic energy.
Benefits of the posture:
It is an incredible balancing posture that offers benefits for the whole body. It works on the back, legs, and thoracic regions, strengthening, toning, and increasing the flexibility:
• Stronger back, chest, hips, groins, legs, and ankles
• Stronger, leaner, and toned body
• Better posture and balance
• Improved stretch for abdominal organs
• Better digestion
• Lesser stress
• Improved concentration
• Better sleep
How to practice Natarajasana:
- Stand in Tadasana (Mountain Pose). Inhale, shift your weight onto your right foot, and lift your left heel toward your left buttock as you bend the knee. Keep the standing leg straight and strong.
- Reach back with your left hand and grasp the outside of your left foot or ankle.
Begin to lift your left foot up, away from the floor and back, away from your torso. Extend the left thigh behind you, parallel to the floor. Stretch your right arm forward, in front of your torso, parallel to the floor.
- Stay in the pose for 20 to 30 seconds. Then release the grasp on the foot, place the left foot back onto the floor. Repeat for the same length of time on the other side.